Merchandising jobs are crucial and fashion visual merchandising is the behind the scenes staff which combine the creative ideas with commercial business objectives, in order to achieve company/store goals, visual merchandising is closely linked to marketing; therefore, its main function is the same: selling the product. However, the fashion visual merchandising focus is on promoting the fashion without resorting to embellishment and deceptive advertising, selling using only the fashion product’s presence and appearance, and most interestingly, some very specific fashion placement techniques. A visual merchandising professional is an expert in the organization and placement of the product (whether in a shop or a showroom), so as to make it attractive to buyers.
Fashion visual merchandisers conceptualize, design and implement window and in-store displays for retail stores in order to attract customers and increase scales. They are responsible for presenting products in a way that attracts customers and maximizes sales; this could mean anything from decorating a store in a seasonal theme – like Christmas or spring sales – to making sure a store’s displays fit the company’s brand image.
Fashion visual merchandising is responsible for displaying merchandise in a manner that is appealing to the eyes of the customer. It sets the context of the merchandise in an aesthetically pleasing fashion, presenting them in a way that would convert the window shoppers into prospects and ultimately buyers of the fashion product. A creative and talented retailer can use this upcoming art to breathe in new life into his store products. Passion for design and creativity are essential to be a good visual merchandiser. A perfect design process and the ability to create ideas that are different are required. Awareness of happenings in fashion world is needed so as to keep up-to-date with the dynamics of the market constantly.
Visual merchandisers are expected to combine their creativity and sense of style with many technical skills, including the art of attracting customers, grabbing their attention and making an impression, maximizing the space available to them at the same time. In designing displays, visual merchandisers consider a variety of factors, including customer interests and preferences, the current seasonal holiday, brand image of their store as well as current fashion trends.
The importance of fashion visual merchandising
It is vital for fashion brands to have a good team of visual merchandisers that can produce the image the brand wants to transmit, but they also know how to meet the demands of a public that knows exactly what it is looking for. There are plenty of techniques, but visual merchandisers usually base their design on what is most appealing at first glance.
What is involved in fashion visual merchandising?
Visual Merchandisers provide input in the designing and layout of stores, or are involved in planning and overseeing layouts of retails store, fashion showrooms, tradeshow displays, and any other parts of the fashion stores where customers may be attracted and merchandise may be sold.
Fashion visual merchandising tasks:
designing ideas for displays, or following a company design plan, creating special displays to promote the fashion products, drawing designs and plans by hand or computer, deciding how to use space and lighting creatively, creating branded visual merchandising packs to send to each branch of a store, giving feedback to head office and buying teams, hence fashion visual merchandising job profile would include:
- Creating and maintaining an image for the department/store and fashion products that will appeal to its target audience
- Increasing the flow of customer traffic in the store
- Planning the layout of fashion garments in the store to make it easy for customers to find what they want
- Utilize visual cues to convincing customers to finally make a purchase
- Coordinating with other departments and design teams to ensure that the store layout is consistent with the corporate brand image and fashion garments style.
Fashion Visual Merchandising degrees:
Visual merchandising programs allow graduates to combine their artistic and creative ideas with the technical skills necessary to design an attractive and appealing store layout. Typical courses include:
- Window Design
- Mannequin Dressing
- Store Concepts
- Garments visual presence.
- Digital Image Manipulation
- Developing Personal Progression
- Fashion retail Stores visual Layout
- Idea about the visual display fashion garments
- Window Displays
- Super market merchandising details
- Fashion Store Decoration
- Aligning and presenting fixtures and display
- Furniture and equipment presentation details
- Designing interactive installations
- How to make the perfect blend of fashion garments with installations for enhancing interaction with the customers
- Innovative and novel use of communication tools that would attract customers
- Insight into attention grabbing ploys that are applied in visual merchandising and retail design
- Installing dynamic fixtures in the fashion retail stores
- Proper use of fashion product displays
Finally let me emphasis that experienced fashion visual merchandisers usually end up opening their own businesses